Knowing that your startup disk is full starts with getting a notification that will interrupt your work, but what does it actually mean? To put it in more simple terms, the hard drive on your Mac is broken down into disks. Each disk has your data on it, including the operating system, applications and files, etc. Mac users can have one, which is most common, and some can have computers with two.
When you have one disk, having a startup disk that is full on your Mac means that the entirety of the storage on that one disk is at capacity. When you have two disks, the amount of storage that you have is divided onto them equally, and one will be the startup disk. When this is full, it doesn’t mean that all of your storage is at capacity just one of the two disks.
Understanding the disk space that you have is only part of the problem, as you will need to think about how to make more space on your system if you would like to eliminate the issue and have a computer that works more efficiently.
Free Up Disk Space for Better Performance
There are countless benefits to cleaning up a startup disk that is full on Macbook Air. There are also many benefits to making sure you free up disk space regularly too. These include:
- Not having to clear space in a hurry or emergency,
- Being able to carry on with your work,
- Having a Mac that works faster and more effectively,
- Being able to save new material onto the computer.
These benefits will definitely make your life easier, but which are the best ways to gain space when the startup disk is full on Macbook Pro? Here are a few places you can start:
- Empty the trash and the downloads folder
- Delete files you don’t want
- Move older files to an external drive or onto cloud storage
- Install a second internal hard drive in your Mac
- Analyze the disk space
- Delete duplicate files
- Clean up media files
- Remove old backups for iOS and the iTunes Library
Most of these manual processes for clearing startup disk space will take a lot of time and may possibly cost some money. If you would like to be involved in every aspect of disk clearing then the manual process may be for you, but it is certainly not the only option you have when your startup disk is full.
Applications to Clear Disk Space on a Mac
The best tools that you can use to clear disk space on your Mac are the ones that require as little time and effort from you as possible. This means downloading apps like Gemini and CleanMyMac to do all of the heavy liftings for you.
- Gemini 2 is an application that will scan your computer and seek out the duplicate files to delete. This is something that would possibly take you hours to do on your own. This is a tool that can be used to clear up a lot of disk space each time that you use it.
- CleanMyMac 3 is an application that really does it all. First, you can download a free trial to experience the effectiveness for yourself before you invest in the app and keep it on your Mac for good. To clean hard drive on Mac, this application will carry out a scan of the whole system or of specific aspects that you think need more attention. From there, it will present you with the results that should be reviewed and delete the ones that are clearly useless.
Whether you use Gemini, CleanMyMac 3 or both, these applications are the best way to free up disk space on Mac and to ensure the system is healthy and in perfect working condition at all times.